Thursday, January 27, 2011

1996 and Beyond

Well . . . following the heartbreak of late 1995 I resumed my career in the bowling industry with a new company and a new location. Brunswick Azalea Lanes in Austell offered me an opportunity to come in as their Control Counter Supervisor which quickly turned over into another opportunity to be an Assistant Manager and enter their Management Training Program which brought great promise for me, workwise that is. I loved my job, working late, sleeping in. This was the advent of Cosmic Bowling, where the lights went down and the music was turned up LOUD. I have fond memories of some very good times.

In the summer I was given an opportunity to work at the Olympic Bowling Center at Georgia Tech where the athletes would come to relax and have some fun. Thank God for the shoe size chart which crossed nearly all nationalities. Conversation was minimal but the experience was fun. I was the only Assistant Manager there. It was a real honor.

It seemed that all was going well . . . but deep inside I had a massive hole in my heart. I was lonely and I was living in disobedience to the call which God had placed on my life. I kept thinking that maybe, just maybe, Betty and I would get back together but it never happened. 1996 rolled into 1997 very quietly. My bowling game was improving, my stock with Brunswick was on the rise and then one night . . . I didn't want it anymore, I just couldn't take another day of this grind. I don't think it was the job, I loved the job. I just got bored and wanted to do something different. So after I closed the bowling center on a Saturday night and I left a note (terribly unprofessional and irresponsible, but I was 23 going on 15 and didn't really care) telling my boss that I was through. Another year, another job . . . no peace. I worked for a little while at the Bowling Center in Douglasville where my dad and I bowled just to make a little money but then I was on my way back to Woodstock and that bowling center which still to this day has a very special place in my heart.

1997 was the turning point though regarding my call to ministry. But of the twists and turns that were to come. The question was simple . . . Where and in what/who is my faith located? Stay Tuned. I promise I won't wait three months before posting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment